KDHRC created a culturally tailored, online training program for promotores de salud, lay health workers who work in Spanish-speaking communities. Latinas con Lupus, Promotores con Información (LLPI) provides promotores with the knowledge and skills to conduct outreach to Latinas with diagnosed or suspected lupus.
The course is built on an audience-centric approach.
- An advisory panel of rheumatologists assisted us with course content on lupus signs and symptoms.
- An expert committee of master promotores trainers helped us develop the learning objectives, activities, module sequencing, and assessment materials.
- Workgroups of promotores from different areas of the country provided user insights, helping us fine tune the materials before roll out.
- Cultural competency teams helped us ensure the Spanish language version of LLPI went beyond translation for a true adaptation of the learning experience.
- All course content was scientifically validated by top experts in the lupus field before finalization.
The LLPI course integrates instructional design principles to make the information accessible and actionable for promotores. A unique aspect of LLPI is the “virtual client” — an interactive learning device that uses video-assisted branching scenarios to allow promotores to practice key skills in a supportive, instructive online environment.