- Includes the most up-to-date scientific evidence about vaping, vetted by top experts in the field.
- Increases students’ knowledge about vapes and builds perceived risks of vaping.
- Reduces students’ intentions to begin vaping.
- Provides discussion – and activity – based learning.
Turnkey, Ready-To-Use Toolkit
- Presents step-by-step lessons that allow for immediate use by instructors, even those with limited prevention experience or vaping knowledge.
- Includes five one-hour lessons with videos, discussion guides, and handouts.
- Provides flexibility to adapt lessons to fit any schedule, venue, or group size.
Who is this Program For?
AVOID helps adults talk to kids about avoiding vapes. AVOID supports institutions who work with youth.
AVOID supports the prevention mission of coalitions and other outreach programs
AVOID can be implemented school wide to educate the student population
AVOID’s lessons integrate with many science and health teaching standards
Parents can use the AVOID content to talk with their kids
Local community groups
Scout troops, clubs, after-school programs and others can use these lessons
Vapes decrease sports performance. Teach your athletes why
Educating our youth can be everyone’s mission
What does AVOID Contain?
AVOID contains brief educational videos and discussion guides. The videos engage students and provide information. The accompanying discussion guides help adults present these videos to kids and conduct a deeper conversation on topics that include:
- What’s in vapes and who is using them?
- What’s in vape “smoke”?
- Physical consequences of vaping
- Nicotine in vapes and risk of addiction
- The harms associated with flavors
- How the tobacco industry targets youth with vapes
Frequently Asked Questions
AVOID is a media-based online toolkit for vaping prevention programming with middle and high school students. The current AVOID toolkit includes five one-hour lessons with videos, discussion guides, and handouts for immediate implementation by a facilitator.
In a word – yes! AVOID was developed with a strong science-base, with vetting from top tobacco researchers and prevention practitioners. A pretest/posttest evaluation of AVOID’s core components with over 200 students found that exposure to the AVOID materials effectively changes knowledge about vaping, perceptions of risk about vaping, and lowers intentions to vape at statistically significant levels.
AVOID is designed for turnkey use. Facilitators need Internet access to download the videos, discussion guides, and handouts. Each discussion guide provides step-by-step instructions and a list of materials needed for the activities, such as large sheets of paper, writing instruments, and a whiteboard. We also recommend printing copies of the handouts for participating students.
Each AVOID lesson is designed to be completed in around an hour. However, the lessons are customizable and can be shortened or lengthened depending on time constraints. The discussion guides estimate the time to complete each activity, allowing you to customize as necessary by shortening or extending discussions.
We recommend you implement the AVOID lessons in order, but each stand-alone lesson can be implemented based on your needs.
AVOID is available for immediate implementation! Purchase through Amazon for immediate access and unlimited use.
Sign up for our e-newsletter to
stay in the know. Only the best stuff!
Wait, There's More
There are no dull moments at KDHRC. Learn more about us —
the projects we brag about and the impact we make.